BEAD PEEPS 3rd Annual HOP N SWAP



I'm taking part in BEAD PEEPS 3rd Annual HOP N SWAP hosted by Linda Anderson. 

This is the first time for me to do this event. 

As part of the requirements we have been asked to tell a little bit about ourselves, what we do as jewellery artists, our style, our likes and dislikes, our preferred materials to use and what we don't like to use at all. 

I am sort of retired, (as in not working but not old enough to officially retire.)

I have been making jewellery for at least 10 years.

I work primarily with semi precious gemstones, glass beads, copper, silver plate or silver-filled wire, leather, chain, linen, silk and other fibres. I don't do bead embroidery but I do use seed beads as spacers or for filling up stringing wire to make it pretty. 

I also work with metal clays, in past using a friends kiln I made pendants in copper clay, bronze clay and steel clay. Now I limit myself to silver clay as that can be torch fired.

The past two years I have started to use recycled or reclaimed copper wire and sheet metal to create nature-inspired jewellery. Fold-forming is a favourite technique I use to texture and shape my pieces.
 I also love to work with wire to create my own chain links, clasps, ear-wires and other findings. I have a whole slew of wire in different gauges so that when inspiration strikes I am ready to go. 

My style is "scattered"; symmetrical , asymmetrical, chunky , delicate, sedate, classic, funky, steampunk-y, Iv'e done them all.  I have yet to focus on one particular style. 

Lately I have fallen for the tribal (amulet, talisman) look, so that may be my new go-to style. 

I also am a lover of symmetry, so a classical look often finds it's way into my completed projects. 

I am NOT afraid of colour and use some unusual combos to create fun and unexpected results.
edited to add* i love colour and other than beige I am open to any colour combos even black and white or grey *

My most popular items for customers are my earrings. I like em long and large but am also comfortable making smaller ones to suit my customers tastes. 

I don't think there is a material I wouldn't use except for cheap plastic. (That doesn't include lucite or bakelite or resin as these are not cheap.)

I like to remake older jewellery into new designs. As a child of depression era parents I was taught not to throw anything away if it has any useful life left in it, so I am a big recycler, re-user.  This includes leather scraps , old belts, rhinestone brooches, copper roofing, electrical wire etc. I think you get the picture. 

This year I am hoping to incorporate needle felting into my jewellery lineup; I'm thinking amulets, talismans, and other tribal  inclusions. Perhaps I will put my rusty embroidery skills to use, to embellish felted or fabric pieces, that I can incorporate into some new designs I have floating in my head. 

My muse had better not take a year off like she did last year. 

Looking forward to meeting my partner and sharing some bead love. 


Ceramic buttons (by a fellow artist ),
that I wired into a single unit and hung from multiple leather cords;

my first STATEMENT piece. 

recycled aluminum tag, fold-formed & hammered,
 coloured with alcohol inks, with glass o-rings as spacers and dangles
(sold)

leather scraps made into fringe with brass beads gold wire and cotton cord 
(sold)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Soup Blog Party REVEAL DAY

Bead Peeps swap n hop